What's In Your Chocolate Bar?
M&M's used to be my favourite!
When I first got into fitness, macro's were everything! If it fit my macros, I could eat it. The back room at work always had cake (which I'd gladly help myself to a slice) and I would pickup a chocolate bar every night on my way home from work. It didn't take long before I noticed my bathrooms started to change, I was getting uncontrollable acne and I was waking up every hour of the night.
One night while waiting for the bus, I decided to read the ingredients list on the back of the M&M's package I was eating. And when I got home I did a little research. If only I knew the things I do today, then.
MILK CHOCOLATE (SUGAR, CHOCOLATE, SKIM MILK, COCOA BUTTER, LACTOSE, MILKFAT, SOY LECITHIN, SALT, ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVORS), SUGAR, CORNSTARCH, LESS THAN 1% - CORN SYRUP, DEXTRIN, COLORING (INCLUDES BLUE 1 LAKE, YELLOW 6, RED 40, YELLOW 5, BLUE 1, YELLOW 6 LAKE, RED 40 LAKE, YELLOW 5 LAKE, BLUE 2 LAKE, BLUE 2), CARNAUBA WAX, GUM ACACIA.
Let's have a deeper look into some of these..
- Skim Milk, Lactose & Milk fat (Dairy) - Lactose, the sugar found in milk is hard for the human body to digest, creating gas and bloating. It can also cause stomach pain and diarrhea.
- Soy Lecithin - Almost ALL soy today come from GMO. It's often contaminated with pesticides. Soy is a very common allergy most people don't know they have. Reactions may look like GI issues, weight gain, loss of appetite or skin issues. This can occur from eating soy on a regular basis. Consuming soy also increases your body's toxic load.
- Sugar - Consuming sugar makes you pack on the weight quickly! Sugar can have a negative effect on your brain neurotransmitters resulting in brain fog, memory loss, cravings and sugar addictions.
- Cornstarch - Chemically alter to extend the shelf life of foods. It is a high starch/carb product with little nutrients. Cornstarch adds carbs to your food.
- Colour (blue 1&2, red 40, yellow 5&6) - All known to increase inflammation and weaken your immune system. Contaminated with known carcinogens. Causes attention-related disorders and other behavioural problems in children.
As you can see M&M's are filled with harmful ingredients that can either effect your brain, your ability to lose weight and create a ton of inflammation within your body. If you're on a weight loss journey and feeling stuck, it may be time to reconsider your weekly trip to the chocolate bar section.